Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Diagram

I recently saw someone post this website depicting the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade in two minutes. I already knew and learned about the trade in class before I saw this video, but it was still very startling. I noticed that it depicted ships primarily going from Western Africa to the Caribbean and Brazil instead of North America. I also realized that around 1807 and 1808 the ships drastically stopped leaving Africa, however, there were still ships bringing slaves across the Atlantic. I knew all of this before, but it was interesting to see it demonstrated in a new way.

This depictions gives you an understand of the scale of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade across time. In addition, the depiction allows you to click on the dots that represent each ship and learn about its origin point, destination, and history in the trade. I understand it does not represent every slave or slave ship, but it still demonstrates the intensity of the trade and the impact it had on so many lives. The website also provides more information other countries involvement in the trade and I think it is important more people are exposed to this information and this diagram makes it easier for people to understand. It will spark an interest and hopefully inspire people to learn more about their history and the history of whole African diaspora, especially if it is being spread across social media. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_history_of_american_slavery/2015/06/animated_interactive_of_the_history_of_the_atlantic_slave_trade.html

One Reply to “Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Diagram”

1. I found the simulation interesting as well. It did a good job of depicting the vast amounts of slave ships which were sent from the West Coast of Africa to North and South America. Visualizing the amount of ships in this way really helps depict the multitude that made the journey. It was also helpful to visualize the time during which the ships went across because it helps show when the peaks of the Trans- Atlantic Slave Trade occurred. It showed the slow beginnings of the trade, the build up to the peak, and the ending as it slowly decreased. It was also helpful that it explained some of the individual ships because it made them seem more real because of the ability to interact with the ships in this way.

Another important aspect of the simulation was the fact that it showed where the ships were headed to. I also found that aspect of the simulation interesting despite what we learned in class. I thought I understood how few slave ships really made the journey to mainland North America but the simulation showed that it was even fewer than I realized.

I also agree that this could be a helpful and important tool in better explaining the slave trade. I learned about this in class and still found the simulation helpful in visualizing the size and locations of the trade. I cannot imagine how much others would be able to learn from something like this.